The photo on the right (courtesy of David House) was probably taken sometime in the 1890s. The clock was fixed to the church in 1897, and the Stoke House gateposts on the left would not have been there before 1870. It was then the that the Workhouse (the former Church House) was sold, pulled down, and the stone used to extend the cottage behind. The site of the Workouse straddles these pillars and when the Church Close sewer was being dug in the 1970s an old well was found in what is now the road outside.
Find out more about the history of the village HERE