One of the Parish Council’s functions is to act as a sounding board for members of the public who have concerns about any aspect of life in the village.

Where a complaint relates to something mundane like a hole on the road or a broken stile, or even a planning infringement, the PC has no authority to act on its own account, but can merely forward the concern to the relevant department at the County or District Council.

All of these departments can be approached direct, and many of them have websites specifically for reporting such things as pothole and blocked footpaths, so it is often quicker and more efficient for all concerned if the problem is reported directly to the department that can act on it. 

The PC is of course always happy to offer advice and support, especially with less straightforward issues, but it may be helpful for residents to know where the simpler things can be reported.


Report a pothole or road defect here.
Report an overgrown verge or hedge here.
Report a blocked road drain (or road flooding) here.
Highways Taunton office telephone: 01823 324 563

Report a problem with a public right of way (footpath) here.
For footpaths or any other department, use the general SCC number: 0300 123 2224

There is also a charity called FixMyStreet  that makes it very easy to report highways and other issues, for forwarding directly to the relevant body.

Planning is the responsibility of Taunton Deane Borough Council.
General planning info
Planning enforcement

General number for District Council enquiries: 01823 356356
(Some of the contacts above may change if and when TDBC merges with West Somerset.)