Stoke St Gregory Parish Church
Stoke St Gregory
Somerset TA3 6BJ
Vicar: Revd Dr Simon Bale
The Church is part of the four-church United Benefice of Athelney, comprising the Parishes of Burrowbridge, Lyng, North Curry and Stoke St Gregory.
See the Benefice website for more information.
The church is open every day between approximately 09:00 and dusk for private prayer or access to the Village Larder for those in need of some extra store cupboard supplies
Monthly Programme of Services
1st Sunday 11 am Morning Prayer (GMT) or 6 pm Evensong (BST)
2nd Sunday 8:30 am Holy Communion
10 am United Benefice Eucharist
3rd Sunday 11 am Eucharist
4th Sunday 11 am Eucharist
5th Sunday 10 am United Benefice Eucharist
Details of services are displayed on the Church Noticeboard and published, with other Village activities, in the Benefice Magazine. The magazine publishes 10 issues a year and is delivered to all households who wish to take it. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Services are according to the Church of England’s Common Worship, except for 8 o’clock Holy Communion and Morning and Evening Prayer, which are according to the Book of Common Prayer. Hymns are taken from the Complete Anglican Hymns Old and New. The United Benefice Services occur at least once each month and circulate around each of the four churches.
In lieu of a Sunday School we run an after-school club in conjunction with the Baptist church, the Willow Set pre-school and the local Primary School. A small group from the Athelney Benefice and the Stoke St Gregory Baptist Church conduct Open the Book sessions at the Primary Schools in Stoke and neighbouring North Curry.
Several members of the congregation assist worship by leading offices such as Compline, reading lessons and leading intercessions; we also have a small Benefice choir that sings on occasion. We have an excellent regular organist for services.
During Lent and Advent an ecumenical study group meets with the Baptist church and is open to members from all the Benefice churches.
The churchyard is approximately ½ acre and includes a Garden of Remembrance for cremated remains. Adjoining it is a cemetery owned and run by the Parish Council.
There is a Church Room situated in the churchyard which is used regularly for meetings and refreshments after services and is available for hire for private functions or by other village groups.
The church building itself deserves mention and, indeed, a visit. It is kept open every day of the week from about 9am until early evening, depending on daylight. There has been a place of worship on this site for upwards of 1000 years and the current “new” building dates from around 1200 AD and exhibits many subsequent additions and alterations. It sports an interesting lantern-shaped bell tower with a ring of five bells and a fine collection of Tudor pew ends. More detailed information is available on the shelf beside the main point of entry at the South Door. Do come and visit, you will receive a warm welcome at services.
Vicar: Revd Dr Simon Bale, 01823 491587 email
These two points of contact above are regularly monitored by a church warden.
Secretary: Rev Martin Mudie, email
Churchwarden: Jane White 01823 490508
Treasurer: Pat Sollis, 01823 490750
Church Room bookings: Diana Silk 01823 490348
Safeguarding: John Hembrow 07921 912788
Diocesan Website Safeguarding https://www.bathandwells.org.uk/diocese/safeguarding